3/31/2010

We picked up a new toy today

So our bandsaw's gearbox took a shit on us today and we found a small bandsaw on craigslist to use for a backup until we get the parts in for the big saw. The guy that was selling the bandsaw had this thing, he didn't know what it was but he wanted $25 for it. I was interested before he even told me it was for sale. I figured it would be cool to make different dies for it and use it for shaping sheetmetal. Honestly I had no idea what it was originally designed for. We got it back to the shop, cleaned off the tag and realized that it's a riveter for relining brake shoes on really old cars. It was made by Riess Mfg Co and distributed by multibestos (an asbestos brake manufacturer that operated between 1920 and 1937 in Walpole Massachusetts). It's even older than I thought. Pretty cool huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment